Porch Pickup and Browse by Appointment Services
We have missed you! In order to increase flexibility for our patrons, we are excited to announce that we are moving to our next phase of reopening by adding browsing by appointment.
Please note that the library will offer these services for Griffin Free Public Library cardholders only; the library building will remain closed to the public except by appointment. Availability of this service is dependent on many factors including availability of staffing, availability of PPE and levels of community virus spread. If at any point these conditions change, the library is prepared to rollback services on short notice.
Porch Pickup & Browse By Appointment Hours
- Tuesday, Thursday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm (Porch Pickup)
- Wednesday: 1:00 pm – 8:00 pm (Porch Pickup)
- Friday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (Browse by Appointment)
- Saturday: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm (Porch Pickup)
Porch Pickup How To
STEP 1: Request your items.
- Place requests online by logging in to your account, searching/browsing the catalog, and placing your hold request(s), or by phone at 483-5374, or email at email@example.com.
STEP 2: We’ll call you to select a day and time for you to pick up your material.
- When your items are ready, you will receive an email notice with a link to an online calendar where you can select an hour for your pickup. You will then receive an automatic email confirmation (*for cardholders without email, we’ll continue to contact you by phone).
STEP 3: Let us know when you’ve arrived, then pick up!
- When you get to the library, call 483-5374 to let us know you’re here, and we will place your items on the table on the porch for you.
- Please maintain social distancing. If the porch is busy, please wait in your vehicle or at a distance. Our goal is to serve everyone as promptly, efficiently, and safely as possible!
Browse By Appointment How To
STEP 1: Contact the Library to schedule a browsing appointment.
- Appointments are 20 minutes for one party (which may include multiple members of a household) to browse the adult fiction room of the library.
STEP 2: Let us know you’re here (via phone @ 483-5374).
- Mask up and we will greet you with smiling eyes at the front door! If the porch is busy, please wait at a distance as we do our best to serve you promptly, efficiently, and safely.
STEP 3: Browse & self-check out! Staff will provide assistance.
- Browsing by appointment is designed to be self-service. If you cannot locate an item, please inquire and a library staff member will retrieve it for you.
Services available remotely:
- Photocopy Services, Faxing
- Reference Requests
- Personalized Reader’s Advisory Services
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I make an appointment to use the computer?
- Not yet; soon we will have a limited number of Chromebooks and iPads available for short term borrowing for Griffin Free Public Library cardholders.
Are masks required?
- Yes, masks are required for library staff & patrons who wish to enter the building, and we have masks available as needed. Griffin Free cardholders who are unable to wear face coverings can use our Porch Pickup service.
Do you have special appointments for elderly or immunocompromised patrons?
- No, but at this time, only one party will be browsing in the library, thereby limiting exposure for all.
Can I bring my kids, or other people in my ‘bubble’, to browse with me?
- Yes; appointments are for one party, family, or household unit. You will be asked to specify the number of people.
Is the Children’s Room open for browsing?
- Not yet, but we are working on it.
How can I return items?
- The book drop is always open. All returned library materials are quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours then checked in; don’t worry if they appear in your online account for several days- no fines will be charged.
How can I find out if my holds are ready?
- A library staff member will call you. In addition, if we have an email on file for you, the system may send you an email when we have pulled the item. However, this does not mean the item is ready for pick-up. Please do not come to the library until a staff member has called and scheduled a pick-up time.
How do I place holds on items?
- Login to your library account here. If you have difficulty logging in, please call or email us at 483.5374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
I don’t have a library card. How can I get one?
- Please see here for instructions on signing up for a library card remotely.
Can I request items from other libraries?
- Not yet, but hopefully soon. The State Library which runs our interlibrary loan service is currently working on getting this service back up and running.