Get a library card and checkout materials
Getting a library card is simple, and usually free!
Free cards are available to patrons meeting the following criteria:
- Cardholder must be in the first grade or older
- Cardholders must be either a resident of Auburn OR work in Auburn OR be over the age of 65 (proof of residency or employment may be requested)
Pay-for-use cards are available to individuals not meeting the criteria for a free card. Non-resident cards are good for all services at the library and are available for six months ($20) or one year ($35).
Items check out for 2 weeks, with the exception of DVD’s, which check out for 1 week. Items may be renewed twice (once for DVDs) as long as the items are not on hold for another patron. Renewals can be done in person, over the phone, or by logging into your library account (see the catalog link along the right side of the page – you need to set up your account with a member of our staff first). When checking out materials, please have your library card or photo ID available.
- Museum passes circulate for only 3 days.
- Items marked as historical or reference are not permitted to leave the library.
Other important points
- All materials should be returned inside the library during open hours. The book drop is meant for after-hours use only.
- Griffin Free Public Library does not have late fees, however, accounts will be blocked from use if items are overdue by 2 weeks or more. The only way to re-activate an account is to return the material or pay for a replacement if it has been lost or damaged.
- Lost and damaged materials are the responsibility of the patron. The cost assessed will be the repair or replacement cost of the item. With director permission, patrons may choose to replace an item themselves rather than pay the replacement cost. In these instances, the replacement copy must be an exact match to the lost/damaged item, and must be in new condition.