Computer and Internet Access Policy
Mission Statement for Internet Use
As part of the Griffin Free Public Library’s commitment to meet the cultural, informational and education needs of the community and in response to the advances in technology in the Information Age, the library is pleased to offer public access to the Internet, both through library computers and wifi access.
- This policy applies to all users of library computers or wifi, and as such will be displayed prominently throughout the library, including at all public computer terminals.
- Griffin Free Public Library does not regulate the use of computers based on age of user; however, as with all library materials, it is highly recommended that parents use their own judgment and caution in allowing children to use library computers.
- The library does not provide email service.
- All files saved to library computers are subject to immediate deletion. Users should save files to a personal device or a cloud service.
- Installing software on library computers is prohibited without staff approval.
- Any orders or purchases made on the Internet are the responsibility of the user.
- Library staff are happy to answer general questions and provide basic assistance. However, in-depth training is available only by appointment or by attending computer classes.
- Because of the public nature of library computers, users must be aware that images on the screen may be visible by others, including children. For this reason, the display of sexually explicit material is prohibited.
- The Griffin Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. The Internet is a worldwide community with a highly diverse user population and it is each user’s responsibility to use this resource wisely.
- Available information can be inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date. Some materials may be controversial or undesirable. The library is not responsible for Internet content.
- Internet resources accessible through the library are provided equally to all library users.
- Parents and guardians (not the library or its staff) are responsible for the information selected and/or accessed by their children.
- Material on the Internet may be copyrighted. It is the user’s responsibility to be aware of the display of any notices concerning the copyright of information and to respect the copyright laws of the United States.
- Public use desktop computer
- Available to all library users without library card required.
- Use is permitted for 30 minutes; any patron on the computer for 30 minutes or longer will be required to end their session if another patron requests to use the computer.
- Wifi access
- Available to all library users without library card required
- Access is password protected; see staff to retrieve password.
- User is responsible for all content and transactions conducted over wifi.
- Public use laptop computer
- Available to library card holders only, with presentation of current ID or library card
- Computer is available for use only in the library building or on the patio of the library (during good weather).
- Computer is checked out for a period of 1 hour, and must be returned to a library staff member directly.
- The laptop may be checked out repeatedly if no other patron is waiting to use it.
Accepted by the Board of Trustees: October 30, 2002
Amended by the Board of Trustees: September 3, 2003
Amended by the Board of Trustees: August 9, 2013
Amended by the Board of Trustees: June 8, 2015